That’s a wrap on the PTGs for 2023! Thank you to everyone who attended the PTG from October 23-27!
We had an excellent turnout with five OpenInfra Foundation teams representing the Diversity and Inclusion Working Group, the Edge Computing Group, the Environmental Sustainability Working Group, Kata Containers and StarlingX. As well as one OpenInfra adjacent community, Confidential Containers.
We also hosted 20 OpenStack service teams along with five other OpenStack teams.
By the end of the week, we had over 250 registrations! Read more to find a living list of summaries of discussions from the week!
OpenInfra Foundation News
- During the OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver this past June, we announced the creation of two new regional hubs: OpenInfra Europe and OpenInfra Asia. Both hubs were created with the purpose of advancing open source infrastructure in the region, facilitating the discussion of regional strategic issues, and coordinating local communities and events. The first mailing list for OpenInfra Europe has been created and we encourage you to join! We expect this list to be active, starting with discussions around what priorities OpenInfra Europe should focus on. We look forward to hearing your voices!
- Check out the recent OpenInfra Live episode about the Computing Force Network working group and mark your calendars for November 30 for our next episode where NVIDIA will talk about their Kata Containers and Confidential Containers strategy.
- Is your organization interested in Membership of the OpenInfra Foundation and participation in OpenInfra Europe or OpenInfra Asia? Contact Jimmy McArthur today to find out more!
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- Please welcome newly elected Kata Containers Architecture Committee chairs Greg Kurz & Fupan Li, as well as returning AC chairs Fabiano Fidêncio & Gerry Liu!
- How are you using Kata Containers? Let us know what you’ve been doing with Kata Containers 3.0 by filling out the newly refreshed User Survey
OpenDev Collaboratory: Free Software Needs Free Tools
- Mailing list sites have all been migrated to Mailman 3, and our installation has been upgraded to the latest version of the software. Mailman 3 gives users a modern web experience for reading list archives as well as managing mailing list settings.
- The Gerrit server running at review.opendev.org will be upgraded from Gerrit 3.7 to 3.8 on November 17, 2023. More information about our testing, planning, and new features can be found in the upgrade announcement.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- There are now over 45 million OpenStack compute cores in production, and in the user survey this year, 81% of OpenStack deployments are running a version within the last 5 releases. Additional findings will be posted on the OpenStack blog next week.
- Thanks to Jay Faulkner and Brian Rosmaita for their willingness to serve as the new chair and vice-chair of the OpenStack Technical Committee for the 2024.1 Caracal development cycle, and to Kristi Nikolla for his prior service as the TC’s chair.
- Are you interested in how the OpenStack community is governed? You should be! The Technical Committee holds public meetings every week with a pre-announced agenda, and anyone is welcome to attend. If you have a topic you want to see discussed in an upcoming meeting, reach out to the chair to get it added.
- In order to keep OpenStack current with emerging Python packaging standards, PBR 6.0.0 was released recently. This drops some functionality which was previously also removed from SetupTools. See the release notes for further details.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The StarlingX community is in the process of running elections to (re)elect community leaders such as Technical Steering Committee members and Project and Technical Leads. Stay tuned to learn about the results soon!
- If you’re evaluating or using StarlingX, please take a few minutes to fill out the User Survey and provide feedback to the community!
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Watch James Blair talk about Zuul, Gerrit, and how they integrate with each other at the 2023 Gerrit User Summit.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
OpenInfra Members in the News!
Check out some of the latest news from the OpenInfra Members
- Ericsson’s Phil Robb and the OpenInfra Foundation’s Ildiko Vansca produced new episodes of My Open Source Experience Podcast.
- Find out how OpenStack has transformed NHN Cloud and see how they are using it in their newly launched private cloud solution, NHN Private Deck.
- Learn more about how Storware provides backups, the challenges they have helped resolve and more.
- OpenInfra Days Germany to be hosted in collaboration with the Sovereign Cloud Stack Summit in May 2024.
- Open Source Cloud conference by Sardina Systems is coming up on November 23.
- StackHPC announces our involvement in the new OpenStack AI Supercomputer Dawn.
- The OpenInfra Europe Advisory Board has been announced.
- The OpenStack Scientific SIG will be represented at SC23 by community members from StackHPC, CSIR, Indiana University and more.
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected].
Questions / Feedback / Contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected]. To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: January 2024 - January 18, 2024
- Inside Open Infrastructure: October 2023 PTG Recap - November 15, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: OpenInfra Event Strategy Update - October 11, 2023