Spotlight On: The Latest OpenInfra Software Releases
The OpenInfra Foundation builds communities who write software that runs in production. Over the past month, the OpenInfra community has seen a multitude of software releases come out! A huge thank you goes out to all the contributors who have authored the changes that have made up these releases:
- Kata Containers 3.1.0-rc0 is now available for demo use on GitHub. The 3.1.x release offers several improvements including (but not limited to): the addition of support for QEMU v7.2.0, Cloud Hypervisor upgrade to v29.0, improved QEMU logging & more.
- The OpenStack community today released Antelope, the 27th version of the world’s most widely deployed open source cloud infrastructure software. OpenStack is central to the LOKI trifecta (Linux, OpenStack and Kubernetes Infrastructure), the open source standard for running modern cloud infrastructure. In Antelope, OpenStack contributors deliver a host of enhancements to the software’s rapidly expanding user base (166% increase in compute cores since 2020), including: a new release cadence, stronger integration with Kubernetes and other open source technologies, and expanded support for advanced hardware.
- StarlingX 8.0 is out! This version of the platform is now running Debian, as the base operating system, with full functionality. StarlingX is unique by providing lifecycle management functionality to manage large-scale, geographically distributed infrastructures. The platform now supports Local Installation of edge sites, which can run on a single CPU core with the required hardware configuration. The community also enhanced the Backup & Restore feature, implemented RBAC enhancements to StarlingX APIs and CLIs, and more. Check out the release notes for further information.
- Zuul 8.2.0 is now available, featuring updates including plaintext change messages in the Zuul variable dictionary. The change message is now accessible via zuul.change_message. In addition, Nodepool 8.2.0 is now available, adding support for privileged pods in Kubernetes and OpenShift drivers.
The Kata Containers, OpenStack and StarlingX communities will all be participating at the virtual Project Teams Gathering (PTG), March 27-31 and a second in-person PTG will take place at the OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver. The OpenInfra Summit will take place June 13-15 and the PTG on June 14-15. If you would like to help build the next release, register for the OpenInfra Summit and start collaborating!
OpenInfra Foundation News
- Looking for more information on the 2023 OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver, June 13-15? Find information on:
- OpenInfra Days Democratic Republic of Congo has been postponed to July 10-12, 2023. If your organization is interested in supporting the development of open source infrastructure in Africa by sponsoring this event, please reach out to [email protected].
- Is your organization building an OpenInfra strategy? Set up a time with Jimmy McArthur so the OpenInfra Foundation can support your business.
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- There are four seats open for the Kata Containers Architecture Committee and we need your help to ensure that the election runs as smoothly as possible. If you’re interested in being an election official or in running for an open seat yourself and need guidance on where to get started, ping [email protected] or reach out on the official Kata Containers Slack for more info.
- The Kata Containers community in China is getting together for the first Kata Containers Meetup of 2023, which will be held in Chengdu this Saturday, March 25.
- Kata Containers made it to Forbes Magazine! Check out what Microsoft has been doing since announcing support for Kata Containers in AKS (Azure Kubernetes Service) at KubeCon US Detroit back in 2022.
- Speaking of KubeCon, #TeamKataContainers will be present at KubeCon EU happening April 18-21 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. If you’d like to meet up, please fill out this survey to get an invite to our gathering.
- PTG is right around the corner! Add topics to the Kata Containers agenda that you would like to see discussed by the group.
- Round of applause for CoCo! Confidential Containers v.0.4.0 was officially released on March 8, 2023. Check out the release notes on GitHub & to try it out for yourself.
- Are you using Kata Containers? Let us know what you’ve been doing with Kata Containers 3.0 by filling out the newly refreshed User Survey.
- Thanks to Clark Boylan for agreeing to continue as the OpenDev Service Coordinator for the next six months! For those unfamiliar with the collaboratory’s governance, the service coordinator facilitates collaboration, acts as a tie-breaker when a clear consensus isn’t found, manages specification proposals, and maintains the core review team and sysadmin membership rosters.
- The Gerrit service on review.opendev.org will be offline for two hours on Thursday, April 6, in order to facilitate a significant upgrade and perform some project renaming work. See the announcement for details.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- OpenStack technical elections concluded at the end of February. Congratulations to all new and returning technical committee members and project team leaders!
- Project teams, special interest groups and associated cohorts are preparing for their sessions at the first 2023 OpenInfra vPTG. The schedule is filling up fast, as are agendas, so make plans and get your ideas in as soon as possible.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The StarlingX community is currently in the 9.0 release cycle, where they are currently evaluating which features and new functionality to prioritize for this version of the platform.
- To do a pulse check and discuss important details of new features and challenges to work on, StarlingX contributors will meet online at the upcoming OpenInfra PTG. Their sessions are on March 28 & 29, starting at 1300 UTC on both days!
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Jim Blair ran unopposed for the Zuul Project Lead position. Jim will hold this seat for a year. The Zuul Project Lead articulates the project’s direction and ensures development happens in a consistent manner across the project.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
Meet the Newest Members
A huge welcome goes out to our newest OpenInfra Associate Member, The Rust Foundation.
Meet the Organizations Sponsoring the OpenInfra Summit
A huge thank you goes out to the sponsors for the upcoming OpenInfra Summit, June 13-15, 2023. Learn more about how your organization can support the OpenInfra Summit.
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected].
Questions / Feedback / Contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected]. To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Next Virtual PTG is Happening in October! - September 6, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: It’s OpenInfra User Survey Season! - August 9, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: OpenInfra Summit Vancouver Recap! - July 17, 2023