More OpenInfra Code!
This month marks two significant releases for OpenInfra projects, StarlingX and Zuul. Congratulations to the contributors who continue to build the software that organizations around the world run in production.
The 6.0 release of StarlingX is now available with key features and enhancements the community added during the release cycle. The open source edge computing and IoT cloud platform is optimized for low-latency and high-performance applications. It combines Ceph, OpenStack, Kubernetes and more to create a full-featured cloud software stack that provides everything telecom carriers and enterprises need to deploy an edge cloud on just a few servers or hundreds of them.
Production users of the software in production include T-Systemes, Verizon and Vodafone. The StarlingX community is actively collaborating with several other groups such as the OpenInfra Edge Computing Group, ONAP, Akraino and more.
New features in StarlingX 6.0 include:
- Core operating system upgrade
- Security enhancements, including automated certificate management and alarms
- Several new tools to manage deployment and configuration more easily
Check Out The StarlingX 6.0 Code
The Zuul community announced the version 5.0 release of its open source continuous integration (CI) project gating software designed to help developers stop merging broken code. Zuul, a project supported by the Open Infrastructure Foundation, uses project gating to automate continuous integration, delivery and deployment of interrelated software projects in a secure manner.
Numerous case studies have been published highlighting how organizations like BMW, GoDaddy, Software Factory, Packet Host, Leboncoin, and even the Open Infrastructure Foundation communities run Zuul.
New features in Zuul 5.0 include:
- Every component is scalable and highly-available
- Augmented Web UI for administrators
- New and improved drivers
- Focus on running in containers
Download Zuul 5.0
OpenInfra Foundation news
- On January 25, the elected and appointed directors were seated at the first Board meeting of the year. Congratulations to all of the new and returning members!
- Congratulations to Thierry Carrez for being appointed the General Manager of the OpenInfra Foundation. The OpenInfra Board of Directors approved this along with the appointment of Julia Kreger as Board Chair and Allison Randal, Vipin Rathi and Xudong Ren as Board Vice Chairs.
- Upcoming episodes on OpenInfra Live, the online series sharing production case studies, open source demos, industry conversations, and the latest updates from the global open infrastructure community!
The OpenInfra Summit
- The Call For Presentations (CFP) for the OpenInfra Summit Berlin closes in 1 week! Check out the track descriptions and submit a talk before February 9, 2022 at 22:59 UTC (4:59 PM CT) to be a part of the global OpenInfra community in Berlin this coming June.
- Don’t forget to register before early bird sales end! The ticket price will go up on March 16, 2022. Summit sponsorships are available now!
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- The 2021 Annual report for Airship is now available on the project’s blog! It contains highlights from the past year to show the project and the community evolved in 2021.
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- In 2021, the Kata Containers community expanded Kata Containers’ usage scenario from security isolation to also cover performance isolation. Check out what the community has achieved in 2021 on the Kata Containers Annual Report!
- There are many use cases that necessitate the need for encrypted container images when working with confidential containers. Learn what the community has been doing under the Confidential-Containers (CoCo) project to provide this functionality and current challenges on the Kata Containers Blog.
- Running or evaluating Kata Containers? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
OpenDev: Open Source Software Development at Scale
- On Monday, January 24, the OpenDev sysadmins upgraded the Gerrit service on review.opendev.org to version 3.4, which included some interface and behavior changes. If you encounter any suspected regressions, or have questions, please reach out through the service-discuss mailing list or #opendev channel on the OFTC IRC network.
- Check out the recording of Ian Wienand’s great talk from LinuxConfAU 2022 on Developing, testing and deploying open infrastructure with Zuul for the OpenDev Collaboratory.
OpenInfra Labs: Connecting open source projects to production
- The Telemetry Working Group convened for their first monthly videoconference meeting of 2022 on January 18, where the draft governance for Operate First (Op1st) was reviewed in detail. Keep an eye on their playlist for the recording, which should be available soon. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 15 at 14:30 UTC (9:30 AM EST), and everyone is invited as always.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- OpenStack’s Technical Committee has decoupled the community goals from the release cycle. This means that they can have target dates for goals that stretch longer than a single release as there are many initiatives that require more than a six month period to complete them. The two currently active community goals are focusing on the migration from oslo.rootwrap to oslo.privsep and implementing consistent and secure default RBAC across all services. For more information on this, check out the summary on the mailing list.
- OpenStack welcomes its newest service: Skyline! Skyline is a OpenStack dashboard, similar to Horizon, but written in React. While not ready for production use yet, the team invites you to check out their tech preview video and get involved in the future of the dashboard and give feedback while they work on achieving parity with all existing functions of Horizon.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The 2021 Annual report for StarlingX is now available on the project’s blog! You can read a summary about enhancements and achievements that the community made during the past year.
- If you are running or evaluating StarlingX please fill out a short survey and help the community better understand how the platform is used.
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Versions 5.0.0 of Nodepool and Zuul are officially released, signifying the completion of the high availability and persistent state implementation.
- The 2021 Zuul Annual Report is now available, a year in review covering highlights of the community’s activities.
- On January 19, James Blair was re-elected as the Zuul Project Leader for 2022. Congratulations, James, and thanks for your dedicated service to the community!
- Have something interesting you’d like to present about Zuul at the 2022 OpenInfra Summit in Berlin? Submit your proposal for the CI/CD track before the CFP deadline on Wednesday, February 9.
Meet The Organizations Supporting the OpenInfra Foundation
- The Open Infrastructure Foundation thanks all its members for their ongoing support of the OpenInfra community. Check out the OpenInfra Foundation blog to learn how these organizations are helping open source communities build the tools infrastructure operators need for Data Center Clouds, 5G, Edge, Containers, CI/CD and beyond!
- This month we are highlighting OpenInfra Platinum member: Microsoft, OpenInfra Gold member: City Network, and OpenInfra Silver member: Acme Gating. Thank you for your support!
BECOME A MEMBER TODAY
Upcoming Virtual OpenInfra and Community Events
- 2nd – 4th: DeveloperWeek (virtual)
- 5th – 6th: FOSDEM (virtual)
- Feb 28th – Mar 3rd: MWC Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- 17th-18th: FOSS Backstage (Berlin, Germany)
- 24th – 26th Open Source Festival (Lagos, Nigeria)
- 4th – 8th: Project Teams Gathering (virtual)
- 7th-9th: OpenInfra Summit (Berlin, Germany)
For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected]
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.