Spotlight On: The OpenInfra Foundation 2022 Annual Report
For the OpenInfra Foundation, 2022 was a year of growth and success. The Foundation has not only achieved its goals by hosting open source projects and communities of practice but has also proven that “open source is, indeed, more important than ever.”
The 2022 Annual Report was published today, highlighting the achievements across the community and the goals for the year ahead including:
- The OpenInfra Foundation announced its new Directed Fund model at the Berlin Summit.
- Eleven new member organizations from seven separate countries, creating a 15% member growth for the Foundation.
- Kata Containers’ significant growth in popularity.
- Bloomberg and VEXXHOST became the OpenInfra Foundation’s newest Gold Members.
- 2022 OpenInfra Days drew in over 85,000 attendees.
OpenInfra Foundation news
- Looking for more information on the 2023 OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver, June 13-15? Find information on:
- Is your organization building an OpenInfra strategy? Set up time with Jimmy McArthur to discuss the ways in which the OpenInfra Foundation can support your business
- Join us in welcoming the 2023 OpenInfra Foundation board of directors!
- Check the upcoming episodes of OpenInfra Live.
- Are you in the Los Angeles, California area? The Open Infrastructure LA – Containers, Clusters & Clouds user group is looking for feedback for its next meetup
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- For those who missed the Boston University outreach program in 2022 but want to be a mentor – we have great news! Kata Containers will be partnering with North Dakota State University this spring to introduce a new class to Kata Containers. If you’d like to sign up as a mentor OR if you know of a college or university looking for similar partnership, please reach out to [email protected].
- Save the date! Confidential Computing will be in the building at FOSDEM 2023. If you’re attending in-person or virtually, be sure to check out sessions on Kata Containers & CoCo. https://fosdem.org/2023/schedule/track/confidential_computing/
- OpenDev upgraded https://review.opendev.org to Gerrit 3.6.3 mid December 2022.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- The 2023.1 OpenStack release, Antelope, has passed its second development milestone, the point at which the list of projects slated for inclusion is finalized by the Release Management Team.
- The community has spoken, the 2023.2 release name is officially OpenStack Bobcat! Thanks to everyone who participated in the name selection and voting process.
- Elections are coming up soon, with nominations for 2023.2/Bobcat cycle technical committee and project team lead candidates opening on February 1. Consult the election page for details.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- As the StarlingX community is transitioning the platform from CentOS to Debian as a base operating system, they will soon stop building the CentOS-based ISO image periodically. The ISO image can still be built locally from source.
- If you’re evaluating or using StarlingX, please take a few minutes to fill out the User Survey and provide feedback to the community!
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Zuul nodepool 8.0.1 has been released. This release includes an admin “hold” command for nodes that can be used to hold any node.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
OpenInfra Members in the news!
Check out the latest news from our members
- We are partnering with Sardina Systems for an OpenInfra Meetup at FOSDEM
- A Fairbanks Edge Cloud case study
- OVHcloud Metal Instances combines the best of Bare Metal with the convenience of pay-as-you-go and infrastructure as code
- OpenStack API access with federation to external customer Identity Providers in Sovereign Cloud Stack
- FOSDEM: GrimoireLab Workshop at CHAOSScon!, sponsored by Bitergia
The OpenStack Marketplace!
A few services from our members you can find in the Public Cloud section of the Marketplace include:
- Cleura Public Cloud
- China Telecom Cloud Platform
- China Unicom Cloud
- Nipa – Enterprise Public Cloud
- Open Telekom Cloud
- VEXXHOST Public Cloud
Does your organization want to be included in the Marketplace? Talk to Jimmy on how to get listed!
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected].
Questions / Feedback / Contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected]. To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: January 2024 - January 18, 2024
- Inside Open Infrastructure: October 2023 PTG Recap - November 15, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: OpenInfra Event Strategy Update - October 11, 2023