Spotlight On: OpenStack Exceeds 40 Million Cores in Production
The OpenStack community is not just alive and well, it’s thriving. Users of the most widely deployed open source cloud software in the world have verified more than 40 million cores of OpenStack compute in production, which is a 60% increase compared to 2021 and a 166% increase since 2020. There are also over 300 OpenStack-powered public cloud data centers worldwide, a 67% increase from the reported data centers just last year. This exponential growth is documented today in the summary report for the 2022 OpenStack User Survey, published by the Open Infrastructure Foundation (OpenInfra Foundation).
READ THE FULL USER SURVEY REPORT
Want to share your story running OpenStack in production?
The OpenStack User Survey is open all year!
The OpenStack user survey provides users an opportunity to influence the community and software direction through direct feedback and deployment questions. All analysis is anonymized and available here.
OpenInfra Foundation news
- The OpenInfra Summit is heading to Vancouver, June 13-15, 2023
- Registration and sponsorship are now available for the OpenInfra Summit Vancouver!
- The Call for Presentations is now open! Submit your breakout presentation (deadline: January 10, 2023) or Forum discussion topic (Deadline TBD) now!
- If you need travel assistance to attend the Summit, apply for the Travel Support Program
- Visa letter wait times are longer than usual – request your visa invitation letter now to ensure you get it in time
- The nominating period is now open for candidates in the 2023 Open Infrastructure Foundation Board of Director Individual Member elections. See more information on the election and nominate an individual member of the Open Infrastructure Foundation
- Is your organization building an OpenInfra strategy? Set up time with Jimmy McArthur so the OpenInfra Foundation can support your business.
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- It’s election season! Nominations for Architecture Committee chair positions have been submitted, now it’s time for your voice to be heard. Keep an eye on the kata-dev mailing list for announcements of when it’s time to vote.
- Calling all mentors! If you would like to help guide the next generation of Kata Herders in Spring 2023, watch the kata-dev mailing list for the official call for mentors.
- Kubecon US 2022 – Microsoft announces support for Kata Containers on Azure Kubernetes Service for isolation & pod sandboxing. Read more on the announcement here
- Speaking of KubeCon, the call for proposals for KubeCon EU 2023 has been extended to November 18, 2022! Be sure you get your Kata Containers abstracts in before it’s too late. You won’t want to miss the on-site festivities!
- Support for older Ansible 5 syntax in Zuul jobs was dropped, and the default nodeset for jobs not specifying their own has changed from ubuntu-focal to ubuntu-jammy. Please see the announcement for additional details.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- Many community teams met at the virtual PTG last month. Summaries of those discussions and activities are being collected in this Superuser article. If you’ve posted one to the mailing list and don’t see it included yet, please reach out to the author.
- Two new security notes (OSSN-0090 and OSSN-0091) were published, supplying operator guidance for Glance copy-on-write backends and about unsupported uses of the virtual baseboard management controller software Ironic relies on for testing.
- The OpenStack 2023.1 (Antelope) development cycle is well under way, with the first milestone due November 17. This is the point in the schedule where projects are expected to have their overarching planning complete for the release, as well as the time when libraries get an initial round of new versions published.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The community is currently running elections to (re)elect leadership positions such as 3 seats on the TSC and Project and Technical Leads of their project teams.
- The community recently participated in the OpenInfra Project Teams Gathering (PTG) event. You can find notes and session recordings on the etherpad the community created for the event.
- The StarlingX community is currently in the feature implementation phase of the 8.0 release cycle. The release is planned to come out in early Spring in 2023.
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Zuul 7.1.0, 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 were released in recent weeks. In addition to updating the Ansible default to 6 and dropping support for Ansible 5 syntax, these releases add read-level access control for the REST API, semaphore details in the web dashboard, support for GitHub’s draft PR status and rebase merge-mode, as well as a few non-critical bug fixes.
- Nodepool 8.0.0 was released, bringing a variety of improvements to Kubernetes, AWS and Azure drivers.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
Check out the latest job openings from our members!
- Senior OpenStack Engineer, Mirantis – Paris, FR
- Quality & Resilience Manager, Cleura – Remote
- People and Process Manager, Cleura – Remote
- Customer Solutions Architect, Cleura – Remote
- Cloud Computing Engineer, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF)
OpenInfra Members in the news!
Check out the latest news from our members
- Distributing OpenStack Architecture with BGP and Kubernetes Integration with Red Hat
- Microsoft hosts an Upstream Training Party in Seoul
- Mirantis Updates OpenStack for Kubernetes
- What is OpenStack? (OpenMetal)
The OpenStack Marketplace!
Check out the Distros & Appliances section of the Marketplace with services from our members, that include:
- Ericsson CEE9
- FusionSphere OpenStack
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform
- Tencent Cloud TStack
- Wind River® Studio OpenStack
Does your organization want to be included in the Marketplace? Talk to Jimmy on how to get listed!
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected]
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest OpenInfra Software Releases - March 22, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The OpenInfra Summit Schedule is Live! - February 8, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest from the OpenInfra Foundation - January 25, 2023