The OpenInfra Summit
On June 7-9, over 800 attendees from 65+ countries gathered at the beautiful bcc Berlin Congress Center. The Summit week was full of exciting announcements and new (and growing!) users sharing their open source, production use cases.
Some of the exciting news from the Summit included:
- The OpenInfra Foundation announced that it has added the ability to directly fund specific projects and is “open for business” to those organizations who want to leverage that ability to build a sustainable community around an open source infrastructure project.
- The Foundation also welcomed Bloomberg and Vexxhost as the newest Gold Members of the Foundation: Bloomberg and Vexxhost.
- On day one keynote, the Foundation congratulated the infrastructure teams at OVHcloud and Ant Group for winning this year’s Superuser Awards.
Special thanks to the support of the Summit sponsors, who made the event possible:
- Headline Sponsors: Canonical and Wind River
- Premier Sponsors: T-Systems, Vexxhost and Mirantis
- Spotlight Sponsors: Bloomberg, Red Hat, B-1 Systems and OVHCloud
- Exhibitor Sponsors: Cloudbase Solutions, ComponentSoft, Exaion, Fairbanks, Nipa cloud, OpenMetal, Sardina Systems, SysEleven, Trilio and StorPool
- Supporting Sponsors: CloudFire, Netways Web Services, OW2 and Soda Foundation
Check out the full Summit recap to learn more about what happened in Berlin!
What’s next now that the Summit is over? Numerous counties throughout the world are planning upcoming OpenInfra Days, Project Teams Gathering is coming up in October, and the next OpenInfra Summit is set for next June in Vancouver! Check out more information on the upcoming events.
OpenInfra Foundation news
- If you have an idea for an upcoming episode of OpenInfra Live, let us know! We are actively looking for casting agents to help program the series.
- Is your organization building an OpenInfra strategy? Set up time with Jimmy McArthur so the OpenInfra Foundation can support your business.
- Is your team interested in signing up for the OpenInfra Project Team Gathering (PTG) in October in Columbus, OH? The survey is open until August 12th at 7:00 UTC! If your team is already signed up, go register and book your room in our block!
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- Fabiano, Samuel & Eric gave an awesome keynote detailing the latest updates to Kata Containers – check it out along with all of the other amazing keynotes on the official OpenInfra Foundation YouTube channel
- Kata Containers 2.4.3 released! Some notable changes include (but are not limited to):
- Fix for SnapCLI “debug” option
- Set a non-zero return code for failed wait process
- Fix for chronyd failing on boot
- Compatibility with Kubernetes, CRI-O & Containerd
- Want to learn more about Kata Containers, but not sure where to get started? Check out this awesome free hands-on lab on CloudYuga
- Speaking of, CloudYuga is looking for more content creators! Feel free to reach out to [email protected] if you would like to create Kata Containers learning content
- Since our last installment, the OpenDev Collaboratory has upgraded to Gerrit 3.5, retired its Ethercalc service, and increased the default Ansible version for Zuul jobs. Find out about these and more in the latest activity update.
- Feedback is requested on a new plan to revise how Grafana dashboards are configured. Please follow up to the service-discuss mailing list, or related changes in review, with your input.
- The OpenInfra Labs community is starting a new discussion to clarify its mission, and to establish a long term vision. If you’re interested in participating, please subscribe to the mailing list and share your thoughts.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- There is a proposal for an Environmental Sustainability SIG, but there is debate about if it should be an OpenStack SIG or an OpenInfra WG. If you want to share your opinion, there is an open review in the SIG Governance repo where feedback is being collected.
- This week we reach Zed Milestone 2 – only 12 weeks till the release! Teams have mostly settled any new features getting into Zed and are focusing on implementation details now.
- Help us name the next OpenStack release! Community voting for the A release name finalists begins on Monday, July 18th with a deadline of July 20th at 11:59pm PT (July 21st 6:59 UTC). A link will be sent out via the openstack-discuss mailing list on Monday with a link to vote.
- New to OpenStack? Learn how to use OpenStack and manage your own private cloud with freeCodeCamp and OpenMetal.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The StarlingX community is in the finishline to polish and get the 7.0 version of the platform ready to release. Check out the project’s wiki for more information about the upcoming release!
- If you are running or evaluating StarlingX please fill out a short survey and help the community better understand how the platform is used.
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Check out these release notes for Zuul 6.1.0, Nodepool 6.1.0, and Zuul-Client 0.1.0 to find out what’s new, including explicit branch exclusion/inclusion, cherry-pick merger improvements, build deduplication in dependency cycles, results database pruning, support for GitHub Enterprise repository caches, node provider and provider-pool prioritization, default resource configuration for Kubernetes pod labels, renaming the admin CLI tool for consistency with the user client, new client subcommands for build and build-info, the ability to configure a default client tenant, and countless bug fixes.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
Check out the latest job openings from our members!
- Cloud Operations Engineer Remote, Cleura
- OpenStack Infra Engineer, Elastx
The OpenInfra Foundation wishes a warm welcome to its newest OpenInfra Gold Member:
Get OpenStack Training!
A few service from our members you can find in the Public Cloud section of the Maretplace include:
- Cleura Public Cloud
- CT Cloud Platform
- Nipa – Enterprise Public Cloud
- Open Telekom Cloud
- China Unicom Cloud
- VEXXHOST Public Cloud
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected]
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest OpenInfra Software Releases - March 22, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The OpenInfra Summit Schedule is Live! - February 8, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest from the OpenInfra Foundation - January 25, 2023