Spotlight on: 10 years of OpenStack
Millions of cores, 100,000 community members, 10 years of you. Powering the world’s infrastructure, now and in the future. OpenStack, one of the top three most active open source projects, marks its 10th anniversary this month. Thank you for the 10 incredible years of contribution and support.
Vietnam Open Infrastructure User Group celebrating 10 years
Launched in 2010 as a joint project between Rackspace and NASA, OpenStack started as two open source projects to orchestrate virtual machines and object storage. It has evolved into one of the three most active open source projects in the world.
Supported by a global community of over 105,000 individuals, the OpenStack project has accomplished several big milestones:
- 21 on-time releases, from “Austin” to “Ussuri”
- 451 Research projects a $7.7 billion USD OpenStack market by 2023, citing the most growth in Asia (36%), Latin America (27%), Europe (22%), and North America (17%).
- From two projects in 2010 to 42 projects in 2020
- Over 10 million cores in production
- 500,000+ changes merged
- 8,000+ individual developers authoring those changes
- Every day, 900 changes are proposed and 18,000 tests are run to evaluate them
The community has hosted a 10 years of OpenStack virtual birthday celebration today at 8 am PT (1500 UTC). Watch the birthday celebration recording here.
Check out the 10 years of OpenStack blog and celebrate the incredible 10 years with us!
OpenStack Foundation news
OpenDev SeriesWe have one more upcoming topics in our OpenDev event series, register to join us!
- The OSF Edge Computing Group published its second white paper: Edge Computing: Next Steps in Architecture, Design, and Testing
- Last month, we held an OSF community meeting covering project and event updates. You can watch the recording and check out the slides.
Open Infrastructure Summit
- Containers in Production, August 10-12
- The Open Infrastructure Summit is going virtual! Save the date for October 20-23! Register for free!
- Interested in sponsoring? Find the virtual Summit sponsorship one-pager here! Questions? Email [email protected].
- Call for Presentations for the 2020 Open Infrastructure Summit is now live! Submit your presentation, panel, or workshop before the August 4th deadline.
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Congratulations to the 2020 Airship committee members elected last month:
- Alex Bailey
- Alexander Hughes
- Alexey Odinokov
- Jan-Erik Mangs
- John (JT) Williams
- The Technical Committee is excited to announce the 2020-2021 Working Committee election! This election will follow the same two-week cycle that the Technical Committee election followed last month.
- Nomination Period: 20-26 July
- Voting Period: 27 July-02 August
- As the community grows and new contributors want to get involved, we hope to have a consistent definition to help familiarize them with the project. Contribute to the Airship glossary by defining and adding terms that we can use to educate future contributors
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- The community is planning to set up a meeting to review and clean the Kata open issues backlog. The idea is then to add additional labels to the cleaned backlog for identifying the high priority ones being actively worked on and track them closely. We can then help focus on completing those issues and unblocking them if needed. Here is a doodle poll with 5 proposed time slots for next week:
- We have just released Kata Containers 2.0.0-alpha2, 1.12.0-alpha0, 1.11.2, and 1.10.6 releases. The 1.10.6 and 1.11.2 stable releases include the latest stable fix backports and users are encouraged to upgrade.
- Check out The Road to Kata Containers 2.0 on The New Stack!
- As the community grows and new contributors want to get involved, we hope to have a consistent definition to help familiarize them with the project. Contribute to the Kata Container glossary by defining and adding terms that we can use to educate future contributors.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- The Victoria development cycle is now well underway. With more than 10,000 changes already merged, we are past the victoria-1 milestone, headed toward the victoria-2 milestone on July 30, for a final release planned October 14, 2020.
- Starting August 1st, the entire OpenStack community will be represented by a single elected body, including developers, operators, and end-users of the OpenStack software, and inclusive of all types of contributions to the project. The User Committee will no longer operate as a separate entity from the Technical Committee. Read the updated UC charter for more details.
- As the community grows and new contributors want to get involved, we hope to have a consistent definition to help familiarize them with the project. Take a look at the current OpenStack glossary and add missing terms or definitions to the etherpad that we can use to educate future contributors.
- If you want to prove your chops at #OpenStack, you might want to take the Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA) exam. The COA exam is designed to help job seekers demonstrate their skills. Check out the updated COA exam and become certified in OpenStack.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The StarlingX community is now in the final testing and bug fixing phase of the 4.0 release cycle. The release is planned to come out in a few weeks.
- As the community grows and new contributors want to get involved, we hope to have a consistent definition to help familiarize them with the project. Take a look at the current StarlingX glossary and add missing terms or definitions to the etherpad that we can use to educate future contributors.
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
We’re looking for folks to help draft a Wikipedia entry about Zuul, so if you’re interested please lend a hand.
- As the community grows and new contributors want to get involved, we hope to have a consistent definition to help familiarize them with the project. Take a look at the current Zuul glossary and add missing terms or definitions to the etherpad that we can use to educate future contributors.
Check out these Open Infrastructure Community Events!
- July 29-30, Virtual Cloud Operator Day Tokyo – Mark Collier presentation
- August 16-17, Virtual OpenInfra Day China – Jonathan Bryce presentation
- August 17-20, Virtual KubeCon+CloudNativeCon Europe – OSF presentation by Kendall Nelson
- August 10-12, OpenDev – Containers in Production
- October 19-23, Open Infrastructure Summit
For more information about these events, please contact [email protected]
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OSF staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Next Virtual PTG is Happening in October! - September 6, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: It’s OpenInfra User Survey Season! - August 9, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: OpenInfra Summit Vancouver Recap! - July 17, 2023