In June 2023, the OpenInfra Foundation announced the establishment of two regional hubs in Asia and Europe. These hubs have been created to give the Foundation a better mechanism to support our local communities and focus on regional issues. With the establishment of the regional hubs, the OpenInfra Foundation will be adjusting our events strategy to focus on providing an in-person outlet to facilitate these discussions.
In 2024, you can expect the debut of a regional OpenInfra Asia Summit which will be piloted by the Korean OpenInfra community in collaboration with numerous other community leaders throughout Asia. In addition, you can expect a special edition OpenInfra Days series throughout Europe to be organized by numerous OpenInfra community organizers including Germany (in collaboration with the Sovereign Cloud Stack Summit), France, Sweden and the UK.
While details and dates for these two events are still being finalized, you can expect the OpenInfra Asia Summit to take place in the second half of 2024 and OpenInfra Days Europe to take place in the first half of 2024.
Aside from these two events, you can still expect other regional events such as OpenInfra Days and User Group Meetups in Latin America, North America, Africa, etc. Who knows, maybe Antarctica has an OpenInfra deployment or two?!
As you probably have noticed, this regional event strategy means a heavier reliance on our volunteer community organizers and their resources. So this means, if you are in touch with a regional community organizer, now is a good time to reach out to them or us to see how you can help create a successful round of events in 2024!
This probably has you thinking: Does this mean the global OpenInfra Summit is over? What does this mean for the OpenInfra community outside of Asia and Europe?
The events in Asia and Europe will still cater to a global audience, but we are decentralizing the OpenInfra event strategy to accommodate more local engagement by offering more language options, cheaper registration and content targeted more at regional trends.
Websites including dates, venue, and registration, sponsorship opportunities will be available soon. Stay updated at openinfra.dev/community-events/ and if you have any questions, email us at [email protected].
OpenInfra Foundation News
- See presentations by Kendall Nelson and Ildiko Vancsa at All Things Open, October 15-17.
- Come visit the Kata Containers booth at Kubecon North America, November 6-9.
- Check out the latest OpenInfra Live episodes featuring the 28th on time release: OpenStack Bobcat and a Large Scale SIG episode on Foundation Gold Member, Nipa Cloud!
- Is your organization interested in becoming a member of the OpenInfra Foundation and participation in OpenInfra Europe or OpenInfra Asia? Contact Jimmy McArthur today to find out more!
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- It’s election season! Architecture Committee elections for the second half of the year officially began on October 9, 2023. If you would like to run for a seat, take a look at the Elections Rulebook to find out where to start.
- Going to KubeCon US Chicago? Come pay us a visit! Find Team Kata Containers at booth Q11 in the pavilion. Hope to see you there!
- Speaking of KubeCon – do you have any Kata Containers demos, videos, or other content that you would like to share with the KubeCon audience? Contact [email protected] to discuss.
- The Kata community meets up every Tuesday at 1500 UTC via Zoom, & we would love to see you there! Login info can be found on the Kata Containers AC agenda. Be there or be somewhere else!
- How are you using Kata Containers? Let us know what you’ve been doing with Kata Containers 3.0 by filling out the newly refreshed User Survey.
OpenDev Collaboratory: Free Software Needs Free Tools
- OpenDev hosted mailing lists have been migrating to a new MailMan 3 server. This migration brings simpler list management and a modern web interface to the archives. Lists.openstack.org is the only domain that hasn’t been migrated yet. It will be migrated on October 12, 2023.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- It’s here! The 2023.2 “Bobcat” release! Thank you to all of the 580+ contributors who made this possible. This is the first skippable release in the new Skip Level Upgrade Process (SLURP), but if you want to stay on the six-month release cadence, check out the source code!
- The 2024.1 “Caracal” technical leadership elections have concluded! Congratulations to the newly seated Technical Committee members – Dan Smith, Dr. Jens Harbott, Ghanshyam Mann, and Jay Faulker — our new Technical Committee chair! For PTL election results, check them here.
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- StarlingX contributors will participate in the upcoming PTG to discuss new features, roadmap, feedback about the project and more. Join the community and share your feedback, ask questions and be part of the conversations at the event!
- The StarlingX community is preparing for the upcoming elections in November to (re)elect leaders in roles such as TSC, PL, and TL. If you would like to participate in the process and run for a position, you need to earn contributor status by the end of October.
- If you’re evaluating or using StarlingX, please take a few minutes to fill out the User Survey and provide feedback to the community!
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Zuul 9.2.0 has been released. PCRE regexes have been deprecated and any regexes using PCRE-specific syntax will need to be updated. You can now define regexes that scan job output to detect failure cases early. Find out more about this release in the announcement.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
Meet the Newest Members
Welcome the newest members of the OpenInfra Foundation:
Is your organization interested in collaboration with the OpenInfra Foundation, OpenInfra Asia, or OpenInfra Europe? Talk to Jimmy to discuss Membership today!
OpenInfra Univeristy Collaboration
Check out the latest updates from the OpenInfra Foundations university collaborations:
A warm welcome to our newest associate member, Valencia College! This semester, a student there- Corei Parker- is doing an internship focused on OpenStack Skyline development.
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected].
Questions / Feedback / Contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected]. To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: October 2023 PTG Recap - November 15, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: OpenInfra Event Strategy Update - October 11, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Next Virtual PTG is Happening in October! - September 6, 2023