Spotlight On: Upcoming OpenInfra Events
The OpenInfra Summit Returns!
We are excited to announce the return of our flagship, in-person event, the OpenInfra Summit, returning to Berlin on June 7-9, 2022 at the Berlin Congress Center. Information on registration and sponsorship opportunities will be available in November 2021, but save the date and we hope to see you in Berlin!
Project Teams Gathering (PTG)
The PTG will be virtual, October 18-22, 2021. View the list of teams participating, when they’re meeting, and then register at openstack.org/ptg today!
OpenInfra Live: Keynotes
OpenInfra Live: Keynotes is a new virtual event taking place November 17 and 18 at 9am CT / 1500 UTC. Join us for announcements from the OpenInfra Foundation, including new Platinum members and open source projects. Users will talk about deploying hybrid cloud scenarios in production and how open source projects like OpenStack and Kubernetes help them scale. This year’s Superuser Award winner will be announced, OpenInfra production deployment stats and growth rates will be revealed, as will details of the forthcoming OpenStack User Survey, highlights of which include 10x growth among largest deployments and 25 million cores of OpenStack in production.
Thanks to Red Hat for being a Headline Sponsor and iVolve, Coredge, InMotion Hosting, and Component Soft for being Supporting Sponsors of OpenInfra Live: Keynotes. If your organization is interested in sponsoring, please reach out to [email protected]!
A Note from Component Soft, OpenStack Training Partner and OpenInfra Live Keynotes Sponsor:
Learn OpenStack and Kubernetes from Component Soft, an official OpenStack Training Partnerand Kubernetes Training Partner! We have a wide, ever-growing, and regularly updated portfolio of open-source cloud, cloud-native and devops trainings and educated 5000+ students in classroom and live online format in the past few years from Europe and the Americas. From beginner to advanced topics. Exam prep. courses for the Certified OpenStack Administrator, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) and the Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS) exams too. Trainings about Ceph, Istio, Prometheus, Ansible, Gitlab CI and Golang are also available.
OpenInfra Foundation news
- Microsoft is the newest Platinum Member of the OpenInfra Foundation alongside new OpenInfra Gold member, NIPA, and Silver members, Binero, Cloudfire, Component Soft, Coredge, Exaion, Infomaniak, ORock Technologies and OSISM.
- If your organization would like to join Microsoft and our new OpenInfra Members in advancing open infrastructure, reach out to Jimmy McArthur to learn the benefits of joining and supporting the global OpenInfra community.
OpenInfra Live news
- OpenInfra Live is the OpenInfra Foundation’s weekly, hour long, interactive show sharing production case studies, open source demos, industry conversations, and the latest updates from the global open infrastructure community!
- This week on OpenInfra Live (October 7 at 14:00 UTC) learn more about OpenStack Xena, the 24th release of the open source cloud computing project. Hundreds of developers from over 120 organizations delivered OpenStack Xena and this episode of OpenInfra Live will highlight some of the key features, what use cases are impacted and what operators can expect.
- October 14: Large Scale OpenStack: Neutron scaling best practice
- October 28: Tackling Sustainability with Eco-friendly, Green Hardware
- November 4: OpenInfra in Production: Hybrid Cloud
- Catch up on exciting episodes you missed, including:
- Tune in Thursday at 1400UTC (9am CT) on YouTube, Facebook, & LinkedIn
- Have an idea for an episode or are interested in presenting? We’d love to hear from you! Tell us all about it at ideas.openinfra.live
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Join Airship at the upcoming PTG!
- We’ll be meeting on Thursday, October 21 from 1300 – 1700 UTC
- Check out the agenda here.
- Airship is Kubernetes v1.21 certified!
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- The time for the confidential computing community meeting has changed.
- Starting from this week, the weekly confidential computing community meeting will be on Thursdays at 13:30 UTC (6:30 AM Pacific). See details on the Kata mailing list.
- Kata Containers use cases page is live!
- Check out Kata users including Ant Group, Alibaba Group, AMD, Baidu, Huawei, IBM Cloud and Nubificus Ltd on how they use Kata Containers!
- Are you using or evaluating Kata Containers?
- Please take a few moments to fill out the Kata Containers User Survey to provide feedback and information around your deployment
OpenInfra Labs: Connecting open source projects to production
- The Telemetry Working Group met on September 28, and hosted a presentation about Tremor from Gary White at Wayfair. Once the recording has been through post-production, an announcement will be made on the OpenInfra Labs mailing list for those who missed the meeting. These meetings are held monthly via teleconference, and open to anyone interested in participating.
OpenDev: Open Source Software Development at Scale
- OpenDev’s Gerrit Code Review service will be offline briefly for upgrades at 21:00-23:00 UTC on October 10, and again at 18:00-19:00 UTC on October 15 for a batch of project renames. See the maintenance announcement for details.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- Xena is here! Today, the OpenStack community delivered it’s 24th on time software release! Congratulations to the over 680 contributors that worked together to put out Xena!
- The OpenStack Technical election has concluded! Congratulations to all of our new Project Team leaders!
- The OpenStack TC is working on an analysis of the usefulness of the tag framework used on projects and would love operator feedback! If you use them or don’t find them helpful or have any other opinions, they would love to hear from you!
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- StarlingX Project Lead (PL), Technical Lead (TL) and Technical Steering Committee (TSC) elections will run in October! You can find more details on the elections webpage about the timeline, criteria to be eligible to run for a position and/or vote for candidates.
- The community is also having an interim TSC election a bit later this fall. If you are unsure if you can handle the TSC responsibility for a full term you can now try it for six months by running in the interim elections to grab one of the 2 open positions
- The StarlingX community is meeting at the PTG on 3 consecutive days from Tuesday (October 19) till Thursday (October 21). You can check out the planning etherpad for the agenda and it is also where you will be able to find notes after the event. Please register for the PTG and join us for the 3 days to learn more about the project and the upcoming roadmap, participate in the discussions about the software and the community and provide feedback if you are already using StarlingX!
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- The 4.3.0 release of Nodepool implements a long-awaited feature: you can now scope resource quotas to separate Zuul tenants, providing native configuration for group-specific resource management.
- Zuul 4.9.0 and 4.10.0 are now available, adding a new buildset timeline feature in the web dashboard, more administrative tools for scheduler state and secret key management, and metrics for tracking tenant-specific node request volume. Note that Zuul 4.9.0 and later requires extra care at upgrade to load secret keys if the previous version run was less than 4.6.0, and Zuul 4.10.0 requires Nodepool 4.3.0 or later.
- A new zuul-registry 1.1.0 release introduces support for restricted read authentication, and brings fixes for a variety of subtle content handling errors.
Meet The Organizations Supporting the OpenInfra Foundation
- The Open Infrastructure Foundation thanks all its members for their ongoing support of the OpenInfra community. Check out the OpenInfra Foundation blog to learn how these organizations are helping open source communities build the tools infrastructure operators need for Data Center Clouds, 5G, Edge, Containers, CI/CD and beyond
- The OpenInfra Foundation would like to proudly announce Nipa Cloud as its newest Gold member!
- The OpenInfra Foundation wishes a warm welcome to its newest members
- OpenInfra Silver Member: OSISM
- This month we are highlighting OpenInfra Platinum member: Ericsson, OpenInfra Gold member: China Mobile, and OpenInfra Silver member: AWCloud. Thank you for your support
Upcoming Virtual OpenInfra and Community Events
- October – December
- Red Hat Summit: Connect – Multiple Locations
For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected]
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: October 2023 PTG Recap - November 15, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: OpenInfra Event Strategy Update - October 11, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Next Virtual PTG is Happening in October! - September 6, 2023