Wallaby—the 23rd release of the OpenStack software—arrived on time today! Congratulations to the 800+ contributors worldwide who committed more than 17,000 code changes for this release!
Highlighting the vibrancy and engagement of developers globally in supporting the third most active open source project (alongside the Linux kernel and Chromium), the Wallaby release strengthens open infrastructure for cloud native applications with enhanced security and integration with other open source technologies.
OpenStack Release Highlights
In addition to delivering a wide range of improvements to the stable and reliable OpenStack core and its highly flexible project integration capabilities, Wallaby delivers security enhancements including fallback permissions and RBAC improvements in Ironic, Glance and Manila, and the community focused this cycle on migrating the RBAC policy format from JSON to YAML. Additionally, the Ironic project has extended functionality for UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface), including secure erase for NVME.
The OpenStack Wallaby release is available for download and you can learn more about features and enhancements on OpenStack Wallaby.
Make sure to check out the Wallaby demo video, which includes an introduction to the OpenStack Wallaby Horizon Dashboard, on the Open Infrastructure Foundation YouTube channel. Special thanks to OpenInfra community member, Vishal Manchanda, Senior Member Technical staff at NEC, who created the Wallaby demo video!
OpenInfra Foundation news
- Join the global community at the Wallaby Community meeting this Thursday at 9am CT / 1400 UTC.
- The next Project Teams Gathering will be a virtual event held on April 19-23, 2021. Registration and schedule are live.
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Stay tuned for the upcoming Airship 2.0 release! In the meantime, here’s a sneak peak of some of the key features to look forward to:
- Enhanced document management capabilities
- Improvements to the Airship upgrade process
- Support for public cloud providers
- Airship will be meeting at the Project Teams Gathering next week. Join us during the following times:
- Thursday 22-April 0800-1200 CDT (1300-1700 UTC)
- Friday 23-April 0800-1200 CDT (1300-1700 UTC)
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- Kata Containers releases announcement: 2.1.0-alpha2 and 2.0.3 are out!
- 2.1.0-alpha2 is the last alpha release, and 2.0.3 is the newest patch release and includes improvements in the documentation. Try out the new releases and let the community know any issues that you face.
- Have questions about Kata? Meet Kata Containers community members at PTG!
- The official schedule of the April 2021 Project Teams Gathering (PTG) is live on PTG website! Check out Kata Containers time slots and make sure to register for your free PTG ticket.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- The technical elections have concluded and we would like to thank all our outgoing leaders from PTL and TC roles for all their hard work and congratulate those that are stepping into these positions for the first time! With this election concluded, we also have a new Technical Committee Chair and Vice Chair- Congratulations Ghanshyam Mann and Radosław Piliszek. Because we were one candidate shy of having a full Technical Committee seated, a special election to fill the vacancy is now underway.
- Two projects are transitioning to the Distributed Project Leadership model instead of having a single PTL to look to for leadership: Keystone and Mistral. This will be effective, starting for the Xena cycle.
- The planet service was retired in April 2021. An OPML file of the blogs indexed is at planet-openstack-org.opml
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The upcoming TSC elections are scheduled to happen during May, 2021. For updates about the exact schedule and information about the process check out the election web page.
- The StarlingX community is participating in the PTG event that is scheduled to April 19-23, 2021. Come and meet the contributors at the StarlingX sessions between Tuesday and Thursday! You can find the agenda for the discussions on the project’s planning etherpad.
- Stay tuned for the upcoming 5.0 release that will come out in just a few weeks! In the meantime you can find more information on the project’s website and documentation page.
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- The Zuul Maintainers celebrate a milestone in development of the zuul-operator installer for Kubernetes with an initial 0.1.0 release, also available as a prebuilt container image. Consider this a functional preview, as the next release is expected to bring some non-backward-compatible changes, so care is encouraged if pulling the “latest” tag. See the release announcement for guidance.
- A new Zuul release, 4.2.0, has been tagged as a checkpoint for non-user-facing bug fixes and general progress on the version 5 roadmap. Details can be found in the release announcement.
Upcoming Virtual OpenInfra and Community Events
- 14 -15: China Cloud Network Conference – OpenInfra Foundation Presenting
- 27 – 28: Red Hat Summit
- 4-7: KubeCon Cloud Native Con Europe
- Don’t miss Kata Containers’ session “Trust No One: Bringing Confidential Computing to Containers” on May 7 at 11:50 CEST
- 5-6: Dell Technologies World
- 5-6: ONUG
- 18: Wind River Security Summit 2021
- 4-7: KubeCon Cloud Native Con Europe
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest OpenInfra Software Releases - March 22, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The OpenInfra Summit Schedule is Live! - February 8, 2023
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest from the OpenInfra Foundation - January 25, 2023