When and where is it on?
- When: June 7-9, 2022
- Where: bcc Berlin Congress Center, Germany
How many years has it been going?
- The OpenInfra Summit has evolved from the OpenStack Summit which held its inaugural event in 2010.
What was the inspiration to start it?
- The OpenInfra Summit is a global event for open source IT infrastructure professionals to collaborate on software development, share best practices about designing and running infrastructure in production, and make partnership and purchase decisions. The OpenInfra Summit enables attendees to collaborate directly with the people building and running open source infrastructure using OpenStack, Kubernetes and 30+ other technologies. It is focused on helping users compose, integrate, and operate these different technologies to solve real problems at scale.
What exciting things can people look forward to?
- The schedule for the 2022 Open Infrastructure Summit features keynotes and sessions from users like Volvo, Adobe, Bloomberg and China Mobile. Other notable speakers include AWS, Canonical, Red Hat, Workday, OVHCloud, SovereignCloudStack and many more.
- OpenInfra users and supporters will engage in more than 100 sessions around infrastructure use cases like cloud computing, edge computing, hardware enablement, and security.
- You can check out the full Summit schedule.
What opportunities are on offer for those attending?
- In addition to sessions on projects directly supported by the OpenInfra Foundation—OpenStack, StarlingX, Kata Containers, Airship, Zuul, and OpenInfra Labs—there will be a strong focus on over 30 other open source technologies relevant to infrastructure operators, including Kubernetes, Docker, Ansible, Ceph, Istio, Envoy, Magma, OpenContrail, ONAP, OPNFV and many more.
Who will be speaking?
- You can see all Summit speakers on the Summit schedule.
- Featured sessions include:
- Learn how Bloomberg scaled multiple single-cell OpenStack clouds to now support over 10,000 virtual machines.
- Started by Meta (formerly Facebook), Magma is an open source platform for building carrier-grade networks. This talk will demonstrate how to set up a Magma 5G virtual lab on OpenStack with automation. Setting up this lab with Ansible will help private cloud operators with no prior knowledge in the telecom domain to enter into the 5G world.
- Workday has built one of the largest OpenStack-based private clouds in the world, hosting a workload of over a million physical cores on over 16,000 compute nodes in 5 data centers for over ten years. Workday will share its new architecture and deployment approach as well as lessons learned, including how they migrated from Jenkins to Zuul.
- Learn how OVHCloud integrated L3 services into one of the biggest OpenStack public clouds.
- Adobe has been using Kata Containers in production for two years on Ethos, Adobe’s internal container platform system. Kata Containers has played an integral role in achieving isolation and security requirements. Adobe will share some workarounds that were required to meet internal customer requirements for storage and network performance.
- Zuul is now the default CI chain at Volvo Cars Corporation, and last year’s expansion has been extensive. Volvo will demonstrate how Zuul features are used as the first line of integration for all modules in its core computer.
- Learn about the state of support for DPUs in OpenStack and what using DPUs in your cloud entails.
What tips would you give to people attending to get the most out of it?
- Meet people
- Take the time to thank someone who fixed a bug for you or better yet buy them a drink. You cannot underestimate the value of having a beer or coffee with someone you’ve only previously met online.
- Start with the 101
- Whether it’s your first Summit or you’re new to a project and want to get involved, there are a lot of sessions and workshops for you. You can search for sessions that are tagged as 101. If this is your first Summit, plan to attend some of the networking opportunities that are taking place and meet the incredible Summit sponsors.
- Find the users
- Come to the Berlin Summit and meet new users and catching up with those you already know. This makes the case study tag one of the most frequently used filters on the Summit schedule. If you enjoy learning how open infrastructure is being used in production, the Berlin Summit will not disappoint. From Bloomberg sharing its OpenStack large scale strategy to Adobe sharing its Kata Containers use case, there are a lot of users sharing their open infrastructure experiences and strategies.
- Case studies of note:
How can people book tickets / when does it usually sell out?
- You can book the Summit tickets on Eventbrite.
- The Summit will be a limited-capacity, sellout event. The ticket prices will increase on May 17th, so save your seat now!
Tags: airship, Kata Containers, OpenInfra Summit, OpenStack, StarlingX, Zuul